Saturday, March 28, 2009

Micro-pocket

There's a micro-pocket near the back door. Which isn't as exotic as it sounds - no star fields, no warp drives. No microwavable sandwiches.

But it is exciting to this winter-weary soul. The micro-pocket is an area of garden that's more protected than the garden by the street or out in the back behind the barn. It's in an ell of house angles. (I think that may mark the first time I've used the crossword-friendly word 'ell' in a real sentence). And what's in the ell? Crocuses!


The fall of 07, I went a little nutty with planting bulbs. I was a couple of months pregnant, and looking forward to the spring, and I figured I'd be too big to do the bending and kneeling that makes up the major part of regular gardening. (I have a fond memory of digging in the garden with Rebekah W several days after my due date - so much for expectations!)

So that fall, crocuses, tulips and daffodils were planted in profusion with the help of one of those step-on-it bulb planters. And the crocuses have come up faithfully since then. Special bonus this spring: Yellow crocuses as eye candy for young C, leaning his forehead on the window to gaze at them.

1 comment:

Mike Lynch said...

That photo is a wonderful reminder that spring is coming. And, yes, this is the first time I ever saw the word "ell" used!