Monday, December 14, 2009

A Grandson in His 60's

This weekend, I had the privilege to chat with a grandson of Dr. Melnea A. Cass. It was Sunday on the last day of open studios, and Roger Freeman stopped by to chat. I learned some Boston history, and now I know more about the namesake of the Boulevard in Roxbury.

Roger is in his 60's (and pleased as punch with that fact). He's flown, skydived, scuba dived, rock climbed, and all the things in between. He's a lively, bright, and gentle character, and I hope to meet him again soon.

It was with great pride that he told me about his grandmother. Dr. Cass is known in many circles as the Mother of Roxbury. She's also responsible for daycare as we know it. She was a star in women's suffrage, and captained the NAACP. She was a Bostonian and she was black and she was a woman, and she stood firm on the issues she believed in. Awesome.

3 comments:

skiingweaver said...

Oh, lovely photos of Roger! I had the absolute pleasure of having a chat with him as well on Sunday... And what a character! He completely cracked me up.

Adrien Bisson said...

Great, great shots Meghan!
Adrien

tygab said...

aka Mama Cass, yep, I've heard of her. Very cool you took pics of her grandson.