Monday, June 06, 2011

This weekend was another First Saturday open studios at Western Ave. I usually open up the studio and take portraits. It's a relaxing time for me, because I get to try out new lighting and meet new people.

Sometimes I reduce down to 1 light; this time, I visualized the way I wanted the photos to look, and decided it would take 4 lights to achieve the lighting I wanted.

I put one light up high behind me in a softbox, but pulled it far enough back from the seamless that it would give a harder light (rather than the soft light that the boxes are famous for). That was at about 1/4 power on an 800w/s Alien Bees monolight.

Next were 2 equal lights, one on either side of the backdrop, just bare bulb with a 7-inch reflector on each. I pointed those down, and took a few test shots until I was sure that they weren't throwing any light on the back wall of the seamless. Those were at 1/32 power, the lowest power.

Finally, also at 1/32 power, the background light had a 30-degree grid on it to make a soft spotlight on the back of the seamless.

And then - we played! Rebecca S. brought her daughter Julia in. I have a rolling garment rack near the door, because... well, because it's the easiest spot to put it. The rack has a lot of costumes on it, and even if it's covered up by a blanket, the rack acts as a magnet to some kids. Julia was one of them. She pulled on a tutu over her own dress, and went to town, jumping and running. I love it.




And then - we played! Rebecca S. brought her daughter Julia in. I have a rolling garment rack near the door, because... well, because it's the easiest spot to put it. The rack has a lot of costumes on it, and even if it's covered up by a blanket, the rack acts as a magnet to some kids. Julia was one of them. She pulled on a tutu over her own dress, and went to town, jumping and running. I love it.

This shot was at the end of a jump, as she's feeling triumphant. Julia is 4.


Justin K. let me take his picture, too. He runs culturehive.com. I thought he needed a shiny friendly picture to use on his website.


And Denise E. brought her daughters in - I didn't even catch their names! The youngest went straight for a black cloak, and bent her body in all sorts of directions, peering out from behind this cloak.


Thanks for another fun weekend!
Next shoots:
Week of 6/6 - The town of Devens for CommonWealth Magazine
Saturday 6/11 - Photos with Rebekah's masks! Did you hear the ad on 92.5? I didn't, but I've been hearing about it! We have no idea how many people will be here, but it's going to be awesome.

No comments: