Monday, May 28, 2007

Zoomy building


State Room, Boston - Out the window with a Lens Baby! St. Patrick's Day, actually. I think the State Room is on the 30th floor or so. And the lensbaby, used with the f/2.8 ring, distorts everything nicely. The photo makes me feel like I'm looking at a teensy model of Boston, but there are enough details so the building feels much more massive simultaneously.

Before Harmonie and Matthew's wedding, which was the first wedding where I used a lensbaby. Much happiness from the couple. Wait, I'll find one from the wedding too -


I just took another look at Gregory Heisler's website and it's still awesome. Inspiring. I like his portrait gallery headings: Quiet, Vibrant, Simple, Dynamic, Strange, Contextual, Time Covers... Time covers!

I remember looking at the photos on the covers of Time before I ever became a photographer, and thinking how evocative and straightforward they are. And I've looked at them more carefully since getting more involved in following and controlling lighting. Something amazing happens with the pair of highlights on the back of a subject's face. The highlights tend to focus my attention on the rest of the well-lit face, but let me think about what's outside of the frame, too.

So I'm inspired, and I'll see what I can do with the next shoot.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful wedding detail shot with the Lensbaby. Keep up the great work!

By the way, you should visit the 'other' gallery on Gregory's site: http://www.gregoryheisler.com/detected.php?page=&pass=

It's all Lensbaby photography!

Cheers,

Sam

Meghan Moore said...

Thanks Sam! Appreciate the comment, and the note about the "Other" on Gregory's site - very inspiring!